I picked up some shares of High Arctic Energy Services post Q1 earnings and after the AGM. I like the risk/reward of this company given where I think we are in the cycle.
The company has a strong position in PNG and recent acquisition in Canada should ensure that earnings stay at least flat through the cycle. Concord Well Servicing (came over with the Tervita assets acquisition) has a large fleet in the WCSB and the stabilization in oil should bring stronger utilization throughout 2017.
I believe there are other opportunities in Canada to pick up some assets on the cheap. Hopefully we will see more in 2017.
Management is conservative with leverage and has done a good job of taking advantage of the downturn.
Another nice tidbit is the board is going to limit the total dilution potential via stock options to management. The proposal passed at the AGM but 15-20% of shares voted against the option, DSU and RSU plan.
HWO.to nearly net cash and trading at 5-6x ttm FCF. Shares trade quite cheap for a few reasons:
- cyclical company during the worst downturn in oil and gas in many cycles
- I don’t think the investment community appreciates their PNG operations
- 42% of shares are held by Cyrus Capital making this company quite illiquid
- the obvious is activity based on the price of oil
- PNG may be lumpy given that the company operates a small amount of rigs and having 2 idle for a long duration will hurt revenue from PNG
- short term volatility if Cyrus decides to liquidate their position in such an illiquid stock
Feel free to comment;
The author is long HWO.to at time of writing.